Slow Cooker GumboPrint Recipe
- ½ cup flour
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2-3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 large bell pepper, seeds and ribs removed, diced
- 1 teaspoon cayenne or chipotle powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- ½ tablespoon ground mustard
- ½ tablespoon dried thyme
- ½ tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1.5 lb skinless chicken thighs
- ½ lb smoked sausage, sliced in coins about ½” thick
- 8-10 okra, sliced (about 1 ½ cups)
- 2-3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 cups chicken or beef stock
- ½ lb raw shrimp
- Cooked brown rice, for serving
To begin, toast the flour. Add the flour to a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir occasionally until the flour begins to brown, then stir almost constantly to prevent burning. Toast the flour until it is a deep brown, about the color of cocoa powder. This will take approximately 8-10 minutes, but make sure you stay close to the flour; it can burn quickly! Once the flour is toasted, remove from the heat and set aside.
Add the onion, celery and bell pepper to the slow cooker and toss with the toasted flour, coating evenly.
Add the remaining ingredients except the raw shrimp and cooked brown rice, stir to combine.
Cook on low for 5-6 hours or high for 3-4, stirring occasionally.
When the gumbo has cooked, shred the chicken gently with a fork. Add the shrimp, then turn the heat to high and cook another 8-10 minutes, or until the shrimp has cooked through and turned pink.
Turn off the heat and serve hot over cooked brown rice.