This is the week of pure predictability, as far as I’m concerned. More buttermilk, more freezer cooking, more waking up pregnant and being like, “seriously, still,? Really?”
I’ve been playing around with muffin recipes for a few weeks now. They kind of get a bad rap as the Boring Baked Good, to be honest, but they so don’t deserve it. To me, a muffin- especially a chocolate muffin- is like a cupcake that I don’t have to frost and I can pass off a breakfast food! Any excuse to eat dessert first thing in the morning will always be a win as far as I’m concerned.
Another bonus? I can throw the kitchen sink into the batter, and get a chance to and clean out the fridge a little. Before these Chocolate Banana beauties, I had great success with an Orange and Chia Seed Muffin, made lovingly with the remains of a carton of orange juice I found languishing in the back of the refrigerator. New Muffin Motto: if it’s too expired to drink, it’s time to add it to muffin batter.
So since my muffin muscles are flexed and ready to go, I loved pulling together this Chocolate, Banana and Buttermilk Muffins for this month’s installment of the Leftovers Club. It’s another excuse to use one of my favorite ingredients, buttermilk (it’s the probiotics and tanginess alone, I can’t get enough of cooking with the stuff). And, since the Big Man requested that I buy him bananas last week apparently so he could have an excuse of ignoring them completely for nearly five days while they slowly went brown and perfect for baking, I had the perfect complement to cocoa powder and buttermilk, right there in my little fruit bowl. So I suppose I owe him a thank you.
Since these were so tasty, I had to stop myself from eating them in one long day. I threw a bunch in a huge ziplock bag and hid them in the freezer, and shipped the rest off the California, to Faye at Live Bake Love, my partener for the month. She runs her site with her girl Yvonne, and I cannot wait to see what deliciousness I’ve got in store. Getting Leftovers Club goodies in the mail is like getting to live through Christmas all over again.
- 1 cup white flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup semisweet cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs, lightly whisked
- 2 large bananas, mashed (about 1 cup)
- Preheat the oven to 350*F. Combine the white and whole wheat flours, baking powder, baking soda and cocoa powder in a medium sized bowl and set aside.
- Combine the brown and white sugar, buttermilk, eggs and bananas and stir until mostly smooth.
- Slowly add the dry mixture to the wet in stages, making sure not to overmix the batter. Place paper liners in a muffin tin, and distribute the batter evenly. Each muffin cup should be about 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean. Allow to cool before serving.
Check out all the other great recipes from other food bloggers taking part in this month’s Leftovers Club!